Blue Coat Case Study

MOBILE . IOS & ANDROID - TABLET

BLUE COAT DRIVER APP

MY ROLE

As the lead UX designer responsible for redesign, the first stage of research began with user testing. I wanted to see how the drivers utilized the existing app. I was responsible for user research, and design (wireframing and prototyping). 


THE NEED

Lincoln Personal Driver wanted to provide a simple UI for their drivers that didn’t negatively impact the trip process. The existing app had poor button placement and misuse of color.


THE OPPORTUNITY

Based on my results from doing ride alongs with drivers I discovered each driver utilized the app in different ways. These varied use cases were based in part to the poor UI. Introducing a new UI would require old habits to be thrown away.


THE SOLUTION

In listening to the drivers and observing their behaviors, one factor was ignored in the original UI. Lincoln drivers utilize the vehicle console, so the app needed route triggers. At each leg of the trip the app engages the driver with audio and message notifications.

Style & Imagery

#171f3b
##2699FB
##FF8D19
#C0C0C0
##F20B0B

Project Insight

On this project I used Adobe XD, Adobe Photoshop, and Noun Project. Ride alongs with drivers required wearing a blue suit and explaining to passengers who is the guy in the passenger seat. Passengers welcomed the opportunity to make their experience better. Some even offered their contact information and wanted to participate in usability testing.